Wednesday, March 22, 2017

NYC Midnight Challenge - First Round


My short story My Burka Girl placed fifth in the NYC Midnight Short Story Challenge 2017. This is an exciting contest with interesting themes and challenging rules. Perfect for a pantser! Judges provide feedback via email, which can be quite useful for aspiring writers.

First 5 stories from all heats advance to the second round, so My Burka Girl got me over the threshold.

My story Snow Angels earned a honorable mention last year but didn't make it into the second round (it did, however earn a honorable mentioning from the Glimmer Train, and was selected for publishing in the American Fiction Anthology). This shows how writing done for one contest may do well in another, so it's well worth the effort. 

I am looking forward to participating in the second round of the NYC challenge!